Active School Travel - Footsteps Friday
The program encourages us, as a school community to change our travel behaviour by walking, cycling, car pooling or catching public transport to and from school. As a result, you and your children will enjoy a healthier lifestyle, save on fuel and parking and contribute to a cleaner and more sustainable local neighbourhood. The map below has been specifically tailored to give our community the best options for travelling to school safely.
In 2020, at the beginning of the year 43% of our community used an active school travel method to and from school, based on a survey of students travel habits. We are aiming to improve this by 17% to reach our target of 60% by the end of the year.
Each week one impressive active travel class wins the coveted “AST Award”. The class that has the highest percentage of active travel in different domains will be awarded this prestigious trophy which will take pride of place in their classroom.
Benefits for children who actively travel include:
- improved road safety skills
- improve student health through increased physical activity
- children arrive at school alert and ready to learn
- improved concentration, sleep and relaxation
- improved self-esteem, confidence, independence
- opportunities to make friends and enhance social skills
- more time together with family and friends.
Local community benefits include:
Hope to see you actively traveling to and from school on our Footstep Fridays!
- reduced traffic congestion
- safer school drop-off and pick-up zones
- improved air quality
- a more social community.