Our purpose is to help Oakleigh achieve the best educational outcomes for our children. We work closely with the Principal to consult and advise on ways to improve our school, for the benefit of our children's education and well-being
A big part of this is that we promote parent and grandparent participation and involvement in school life. This enriches us all and makes Oakleigh such a positive place to teach, learn and grow. By engaging in the seminars, volunteering opportunities and social activities at school we aim to build a real home-school partnership that research shows is so valuable to our children's education.
We are grateful to past P&C members for raising funds, applying for grants and improving our school in many ways. Some of the key improvements have included:
a) Enhancing our Teaching and Learning Programs
- In the past we supported the introduction of visual art and drama specialist teachers in line with the new Australian Art Curriculum, and offered advice on how to improve the way Oakleigh provides learning support.
- We have donated thousands of dollars to the school for new music instruments, sporting equipment, resources for the science and maths programs, reading materials, our intervention and extension programs, additional classroom resources and online subscriptions.
- We have co funded coaching programs for Teaching Staff with the school
b) Enhancing our School Facilities
- Creation of the well utilised OSHC and Tuckshop Building and Adjacent Undercover Space and adjacent amenities block.
- The Forecourt redevelopment. This ambitious project was made possible due to funding from the 'Building the education revolution' program and our ability to match the grant dollar for dollar from savings made over many years of successful fundraising.
- Cooling our School – The P&C fundraised to air condition a majority of our classrooms prior to 2020. We are grateful for the support of the Qld Government for their contribution to air condition our remaining unairconditioned classrooms and our library in 2020.
- Enhancements to the Junior Play spaces at the school have been made possible from grants and P&C funds.
In 2019 we participated in the Quadrennial School Review – an opportunity to collaborate with the school leadership team to form a strategic plan that will shape our school for the next four years. The P&C look to support the school's goals that come out of this process within our own P&C planning activities. Our master plan created in 2018 guides our decision making around school facility improvements.
Membership is free and open to all parents, caregivers and members of the community. All you need to do is complete the form (PDF, 189KB) and bring it to any monthly meeting, or email it to the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org to be presented at the AGM in March.
You do not need to be a P&C member to come along to meetings. If you like to keep up with the latest goings on at school, have great ideas for fundraisers or just want to help with 'Growing Oakleigh' in any way you can please come along.
We meet every third Wednesday of the month during term time, but it is best to check the school calendar for confirmation as sometimes the date has to change due to holidays or special events.
Meetings are generally held at the school library from 7.00pm. At times a teleconference arrangement might be required for our meetings. To obtain login details for online meetings email email@example.com for instructions on how to join
If meetings aren't your thing you can always:
- enjoy the P&C emails that are delivered through your Parent Liaison Representative
- nominate for a P&C committee role
- look to volunteer at one of our services (tuckshop, uniform shop, swim club) or at one of our social or fundraising events
- keep an eye out on your emails or school newsletter for ways to volunteer in a way that supports your lifestyle
We are sure to have something just right for you – whether you prefer social activities or to work quietly in the background, have a toddler in tow or can spare a few hours at night or weekends. Email us - we love volunteers!
Together we can do so much!
We appreciate any contribution you can make.